The Sultan Foundation for Peace and Development (SFPD) is a private, non-profit and non-governmental organization concerned with peace and development. The Organization was established in Nigeria in November 2014, with the aim of promoting development, peaceful co-existence, tolerance, better understanding of Islam and provision of humanitarian aid to the needy and the vulnerable in Nigeria.
The headquarters of the Organization is situated in Kaduna, Northern Nigeria. It has established relationships and cooperation with a number of institutions and organizations in Nigeria and outside it.
The Foundation’s Board of Trustees is made up of eminent citizens and is chaired by His Eminence the Sultan of Sokoto Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar CFR mni.
The Foundation’s mission is to facilitate coexistence, tolerance, better understanding amongst people of different faiths for peace and development.
The vision of the Foundation is to be among the leading non-governmental organizations in the promotion of peace and development in Nigeria.
The Foundation’s objectives include but not limited to:
- Promote education, research, resource development and scholarship for human development and social progress;
- Develop the capacity of the Ulama (Islamic Scholars) to understand and preach moderation in order to counter extremism and terrorism;
- Promote tolerance and facilitate better understanding of Islam through education, intra-faith and inter-faith engagement;
- Strengthen the capacity of Da’wah organizations and programmes;
- Reduce poverty through wealth creation, human development and entrepreneurial training, support and placement opportunities for youth and women; and
- Support relief and welfare of vulnerable groups especially widows, orphans and the sick through local Muslim charities.